After working in the fashion editorial department at InStyle, Tig Style Editor Judy Meepos knows a thing or two about the powers that be at the loved and lauded book. When she mentioned Melissa Rubini, Fashion Director at InStyle, for a Tig Talk, I thought two things: a) brilliant idea, per usual, Ms. Meepos & b) you, my dear, should write that intro, because you have the inside scoop. She agreed, and wrote this intro for Melissa, a lady who knows a thing or two about the entrepreneurial spirit, and certainly what’s trending. Take it away, JM:
We’e all seen movies (ahem, The Devil Wears Prada) depicting the glamorous and crazy atmospheres of fashion magazines—but I promise you, it’s (almost) nothing like that. The only commonality is the well dressed women who walk the halls -and I have to tell you— Brazilian-born Melissa Rubini looks like she just stepped off of a movie set, or runway – hair done, nails done, everything did. And by everything, just assume Balmain, Marant, and Prabal had something to do with that look du jour. While her Saint Laurent booties may be fawn-worthy, without question her best accessories are her kindness and work ethic. Her resumé boasts dues paid at Vogue Japan and Vogue Brazil, plus experience styling campaigns for Prada. And while she now holds the title of Fashion Director at InStyle, there’s no tossing a coat on the desk à la Miranda Priestley; with Melissa it’s a magnetic smile and “hello”s all around. It’s no surprise that this worldwide style influencer took the time to Tig Talk with me kindly, quickly, and, as she put it, “with pleasure.” Thanks Melissa!
- My nickname is: My childhood nickname was Mel, which was not only short for Melissa, but it also means ‘honey’ in Portuguese. Now, my nickname is M, like the character M from James Bond, LOL!
- The first thing I do when I wake up is: yoga at sunrise.
- I can’t live without: my daughter, Stella.
- If I had one week to escape: I would go to the Maldives.
- If I only had $10 in my pocket: I would save it, or I’d buy Blue Marble strawberry ice cream.
- Everything tastes better with a little: Love.
Images via: InStyle, Melissa’s Instagram
Last updated on June 29th, 2019