Now feeling a touch more seasoned at the fashion week of it all, I have to say this #NYFW was fantastic. I celebrated designer friends (here’s looking at you Wes & Misha), bumped into gal pals like Ms. Olivia Palermo, and rubbed shoulders with the fashion elite who were all champing at the bit to see what fall trends are in store. Turns out, not only are there key aesthetics that will keep you looking très chic, but also blending in with the cool kids. From an event for Prada to fashion shows galore, here’s my bird’s eye view from the front row at fashion week of the looks you’ll need to scoop up for a fashionable fall….as seen on The Today Show, and written out for good measure below.
- Lookin’ Groovy, Baby
- Disco fever is back! Seventies-inspired digs have shown up on the Fall 2015 runways and streets in a big way. The most important thing to keep in mind when channeling the 70s is to make sure you don’t look like you’re heading to a Halloween party. You’ll want to have just a touch of nostalgia mixed with more modern silhouettes.
- The best way to play with this trend is to wear the new, cool pant—the wide leg—and make it a printed pair. This way, you’re not totally overdoing the look like you would with, say, a pair of bellbottoms.
- Try pairing it with a statement making seventies-inspired overcoat. However, your shirt or blouse should be in a neutral tone so you’re not totally clashing.
- Make sure to wear some high-heeled booties rather than flats with your loose pants, otherwise you’ll look overwhelmed by your clothes.
- Join the Knitting Club
Yes, it’s obvious to wear your chunky sweater once the temperatures dip below freezing. But this season, it’s all about wearing your sweater with some knit bottoms. Now how cozy is that!
- It’s crazy to think that nobody thought about skirts and pants in sweater-material until recently, but boy does it make a difference. If you’re feeling gutsy, find a matching set, like our friend and founder of Gritty Pretty, Eleanor Pendleton, did.
- If you don’t want to wear a full-on, head-to-toe set look, try a sweater and a pair of knit pants or a knit midi skirt in tonal or neutral colors that play well with each other.
- Since this is such a comfy look, it’s the perfect time to pull out your Stan Smith sneakers and totally rock the stylish casual trend.
- Belt Your…Everything
From outerwear to high-waisted pants, you’ll be pulling out that skinny belt as often as possible.
- Use a skinny belt to cinch your waist in creative ways—not just around your belt loops. Think around your outerwear, over high-waisted pants, to cinch your dresses. Basically, throw one on whenever possible.
- Just make sure to use a simple, leather brown or black belt so that it doesn’t detract from your ensemble.
- Drink up That Marsala
Just like a bottle of rich marsala wine, the color makes everything seem a little bit sweeter.
- Marsala is a beautiful, flattering color on all skin tones, so mix it up instead of your usual black.
- It’s a great way to add some color into your look, so try just a splash of it with a jacket, a sweater, or your accessory. Or go for the whole shabang by wearing marsala head-to-toe.
- Master the Slits
While the pencil skirt is still a must-have, the updated version with a front slit is just a bit (ok, a lot) sexier.
- The front slit pencil skirt is perfect to take you from day to night. However, if you’re going to wear a slit skirt to the office, make sure that the slit goes no further than your knees and the skirt itself is midi or tea length.
- Class up the vampy silhouette by pairing it with simple nude pumps and a chiffon blouse.
Outfit Credits: Coat – Miu Miu, Top – Wilfred at Aritzia, Skirt – Wes Gordon, Flats – Jimmy Choo
Images via: Vogue, Racked, Judy Meepos
See all my NYFW Styling tips from The Today Show here!
Last updated on June 29th, 2019