With kombucha only gaining momentum in mainstream health, it’s worth giving it a try this fall and having a fresh way to stay hydrated and feel your best!
Who doesn’t love an everyday drink that tastes great and can encourage overall health at the same time? Bar none, the current “It Girl” of health beverages is the ever-intriguing kombucha. When you learn that it is a fermented tea made from a culture known as ‘scoby,’ it doesn’t sound like a particularly appetizing treat. But this fizzy drink is actually exceptionally tasty, and packs health benefits that are nothing to scoff at. Today we are being introduced to this bodacious beverage by previous Tig contributor and holistic nutritionist Sandra Chabot Weber, who lays out all the reasons why this drink is oh-so special. Come take a sip with us!
Kombucha is a fermented beverage that is created during a very precise process involving tea, sugar, and a scoby (symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeast). Like the name indicates, the scoby, which is also known as the mother, is a living home for bacteria and yeast which help in the fermenting process. After about seven to ten days, what results is a naturally carbonated fermented drink with probiotics, enzymes, and other beneficial nutrients.
Known for its many health benefits, kombucha is a fantastic substitute to sodas or alcohol. Even though kombucha is made with sugar, the end product will only have a small amount remaining.
People have been integrating kombucha as part of a healthy lifestyle to help improve digestion and gut health, clear up skin issues, and even as a quick energy booster. Some of my favorite flavors of kombucha include grape, lavender, mint chlorophyll, and ginger.
With kombucha only gaining momentum in mainstream health, it’s worth giving it a try this fall and having a fresh way to stay hydrated and feel your best! Here are 10 reasons to add kombucha to your daily routine.
- It tastes like sweet, fizzy sunshine and is extremely refreshing.
- It makes for a great afternoon pick-me-up.
- Craving something sweet? Kombucha is the balanced way to satisfy a sweet tooth.
- It helps to support a healthy gut and promotes good digestion.
- It charges up your immune system to help keep it strong.
- The tea contains powerful antioxidants that help protect the body.
- It can be used as a mixer for cocktails and as a rejuvenating brew the next morning.
- Alternatively, you can opt out of alcohol altogether and swap for a fun glass of kombucha instead.
- If you don’t feel like buying it, you can always opt to make it yourself.
- There are so many different flavors to try that it never gets boring!
Images via: Stories of a Kitchen, Kombucha Hunter
Last updated on June 29th, 2019